• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Krackles

Fantastic Four #74 cover.
    High Res cleaned up scan for you to enjoy!

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

When you say lack of his right cheek, the light source is going from left (Galactus' right) to right creating a shadow on Galactus' left side and left cheek. Just an observation.

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Yeah--when I said splash page I probably should have said 1 page picture instead. Page 15--yes.

My opinion wasn't in an effort to make you change your mind about Vinnie's work--I just posed the one I liked better when it came to a Galactus head shot on a 1 page picture.

Yes--FF cover 74 is up there as one of the best FF covers--agreed.

Say--now that we've made comparisons of 1 page pictures of Galactus head shots...how about the 1 page pictures of Galactus, Colletta from Thor 134 page 3 vs Sinnott from FF 75 page 4? Both great pieces.

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Oh, that helps!

Okay, IMHO, it's Galctus' right cheek (or lack thereof) that detracts. The coloring isn't as good either (though coloring typically isn't given consideration in such appraisals).

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Art is in the eye of the beholder, obviously! I assume you refer to page 15 (Galactus is not on page 1). To my eye, this head shot (Thor 160 p. 13) is several times more pleasing than that one, however, the difference is attributable in part to the pencils, naturally!

However, your mention of ish #74 causes me to consider modifying my earlier statement, because the cover of this issue is at the very pinnacle of my favorite covers of all time (all by Kirby, of course). Simply yet superbly conceived, beautifully drawn and masterfully inked, inspirationally colored with loving care, it just doesn't get any better! Kirby squiggles and crackles (as seen through Joltin' Joe's eyes and #4 brush) never came together any better than they did on this. I especially love how Galactus' feet are translucent, adding an almost godlike, omnipresent suggestion to the composition.

Okay, so here's my mod for Thor 160 p. 13: "Best Galactus ever on an interior page!" I believe that covers it. I am of course referring to the combined artwork, not specifically to either pencils or inks. Others may come close, but I don't think this Kirby/Colletta masterpiece has any equal in the (modified) category. (But then again, my memory ain't what it used to be!)

And now there's only one thing left to say: "JACK-SELSIOR!"

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Mike T, did you try highlighting it, copy and paste into a new window?

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

the link does not work from my PC.

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

...joltin' Joe is still the man!

Thanks, Krackles.

• 3 years 5 weeks ago | Krackles
  • 3 years 5 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Have you seen the head shot splash page of Galactus in Fantastic Four 74? Inked by Joe Sinnott. Wish there were a scan of that in the gallery--it's stunning. As nice as this piece by Vinnie is, I like the one from FF 74 better.

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Krackles

… Hilarious!

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Very solid inking here! Reminds me of Stone with the HEAVY line weights around Thor and his cape. Vinnie's work looked so much better once he started brushing in the outlines.

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Not even Joe Sinnott, who in my mind was the greatest inker who ever lived (surpassing even Wood), turned in such a fine rendition of the planet-eater.

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Tom, what have you done with these legendary Fosco inks? Tom? Kirbydom awaits.

This totally give me an idea for WIK, and maybe/probably this has already been discussed/considered, but here goes anyway:

How about some fan art pages on this site? It could be divided into 2 subcategories, one where fans are inking Kirby pencils, and the other where the pencils are by the fans but pay homage to the King. Although I dunno, maybe the ensuing inundation of digital Kirby progeny would be much more than Tom ever bargained for, and this in fact is another of my not-so-great comments. (Sorry if I'm out of line)

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

I'm thinking that the way you count, there's only one finger (and it's not the index finger).

I'm also thinking what great fun it will be to post some more of my not-so-great comments on the Crapletta pages. However, dear Krackles, if I'm to be true to myself as a not so great commentator, the content of those comments would be of such that you would tend to comment rather than commend. And now that we're under the threat of the gallery going away, I'd better find the time to get to that ASAP. OH BOY! THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Krackles

No worry T, there aren't that many not so great comments on this website.
    How could it be otherwise when you could barely count the Crapletta lovers up to the number of fingers on my hand?

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Thanks for the kind words, Mike T.

I do still have these original pieces and they are available for purchase. Just sayin'.

There are also 2 more Kirby pieces I did from his pencils that haven't been seen yet but Tom does have scans of them.

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Ok, so maybe some of my comments were in fact not so great, but please don't take away the WIK gallery! I haven't even gone through it yet, only a small fraction so far. Plus, can you imagine the guilt and shame if I have to live out the rest of my days with the knowledge that I brought this travesty upon all of Kirbydom? I'd be so ashamed that I wouldn't ever be able to look at myself in the mirror again.

Oops--there I go again with the not so great comments...

So sorry!

(Will I ever learn?)

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Hey, that is some really great coloring too! It brings the art to life rather than obliterating it. Yes, period-correct style coloring. All in all a VERY nice treat--THANKS!

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

This might be the best rendition of the thing since Kirby/Sinnott. THANKS!!!

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Mike T
    Mike T's picture

Frank, that's just beautiful! But I don't think it's a forgery. In fact, it looks very much like a cover the King might have done during his peak, but it's all-new so the credit to you as penciller is fitting. Therefore, in addition to the rights to the FF forgeries, I'm now out to get the rights to the FF (Frank Fosco) originals too. And competitive bidders beware, one call to Guido and you'll be sorry you ever got in my way!

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

Thanks Krackles for hooking up this link. Nice coloring by you, Krackles, done in that retro style.

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Tom Kraft

Included would be everything you list but:
    - Recreated pencils
    - Recreation
    - Frank Fosco Forgery

The What if Kirby site has the above and my plan is to redesign WiK with only the above so the Gallery may go away and point to the new archive site, or I may leave that section accessable since it has a wealth of great comments (and not so great) and member bios.

The addition to the list may inlcude color scans of the printed comic or comic strip in english and other foreign languages, yes like français. Also other materials included on the original art that are loose like stats or paper notes.

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Krackles

… for CoreMix Fans.

Now, no reason to be shy Fearless Frank!
    Don't forget to give your fans a chance to get a look at the awesome Thing piece that puzzled the world of comics expertise:

(bottom of the page)

• 3 years 6 weeks ago | Frank Fosco

...that sounds like some underhanded shenanigans. I like recreations or as Tom dubbed someTHING I did, "Remix." Which Krackles had a hand in also.

I know Krackles you like playing with words, so "Frank Fosco Forgery?"--I get it. Thanks--I think.

Mike T--here's a piece I did three years ago for WiK.

X